Sunday, August 05, 2012

Curtis Martin - 2012 Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement


Over the years, one of the annual staples in my life is the pro football hall of fame inductions.  I absolutely love hearing the life stories of these famous, successful people.  Not only on the field but off.

In 1997, Mike Webster was introduced by Terry Bradshaw.  For those who don’t know, Mike was Terry’s center during the Steelers dynasty.  Mike suffered from the beatings his body and brain took during his career.  He became homeless and suffered from serious depression. Terry’s speech that day was so fabulous that I never thought it could be bested, ever.  Sorry, I couldn’t find a copy of that speech for you to view.

Then came the class of 2011.  Marshall Faulk’s speech was fantastic.


I thought, that’s as close as it’ll come. 

Then,  Neon Deion Sanders bested Terry’s speech by far.


Then out of no where, Shannon Sharpe, who my friend calls "gravely mouth" gave a heart felt speech that completely eclipsed Deion's.  There is no way anyone could give a speech to match Sharpe’s.  It was that dang good.


The class of 2012 was today August 4th, 2012.  There were some great speeches and as it came to the end, I thought to myself, yep “Shannon Sharpe can’t be beat.”  It will last a life time, if not, at least as long as Terry’s speech lasted as my minds best for 14 years.

 That’s when Curtis Martin came to the podium.  Words can not explain it.  You’ve got to see it for yourself.



No comments: