Thursday, August 12, 2010

Don't Judge Too Quickly

I watched this video this afternoon and read and listened to all the "outrage" from the public.




http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-deaf-shoppers-tackled,0,6097535.story

It's a shame, but don't be so fast to judge.

My Mom has a saying, "Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what ya see."

I stopped a guy in 1992 for one of those stupid right turn only violations on Florida Ave. He pulled into Furrs parking lot and drives around, then pulls back out onto the street.

Red lights and siren, calling for failure to yield on the radio. Blood pressure shooting through the top of my head. Mind is racing like a big dog.

Finally he stops. All four doors on the car open up. The drives starts running at me while reaching inside his jacket. He came real close to being "dead right there."

Turns out, he was a deaf Canadian congressman on vacation visiting some relatives. The others all jumped out of the car to tell me he was deaf.

I mean, we're talking nano seconds to me pulling the trigger. I'm yelling stay in the car, then put your hands up, then stop, stop, stop.

He was reaching for his diplomatic passport. Ya think that wouldn't have caused some outrage. I would have been the bad guy and would have had to live with that the rest of my life.

I figured what the hay, this guy almost died, so I gave him a warning. Then I got in trouble. You mean you had to pull your gun and didn't even write the guy a ticket?

Back to this security guard. I'm sure the tackle came after a tug on the arm and some resistance.

Or maybe the security guard woke up this morning and said "Boy, I hope I get to wrestle with some deaf guy today, and ruin my whole freakin life. Maybe I'll get lucky and get fired and maybe even sued! Woohoo!"

Never be too fast to judge. That's what the courts are for.

Remember this, the media is there to SELL the news. If it doesn't create sensationalism, it doesn't sell advertisement.

Ask a newsman how much reporting he'd do if he quit getting paid. Think back over the past year. Flu pandemic, BP worst oil disaster in US history, the cops acted stupidly in Cambridge,.... and on and on....

No comments: